Szechuan Mapo Tofu
|1.||Minced pork 100g|
|2.||Cooking oil 2 tblsp|
|3.||Minced garlic 2cloves|
|4.||Red chilli 1pce|
|5.||Chilli padi 2pcs (optional)|
|6.||Szechuan fermented chilli bean paste 2 tblsp|
|7.||Pressed tofu/ silken tofu 1pack|
|8.||Chicken stock 50ml|
|9.||Pink salt to taste|
|11.||Spring onion/ coriander to taste|
|12.||Szechuan peppercorn oil 1tblsp|
- Cut press tofu to desired size, set aside.
- Warm up oil in frying pan over medium low heat, add garlic, sauté until fragrance is released.
- Add minced pork, sauté over medium high heat, until colour changes.
- Reduce heat to medium low, add red chilli and fermented chilli bean paste, sauté to mix well.
- Add tofu cubes and water, bring to boil.
- Do a tasting, season with pink salt if necessary.
- Gradually pour in starch water to achieve the consistency that you preferred for gravy.
- Add spring onion dices, transfer mapo tofu to plate, drizzle with Szechaun peppercorn oil to enhance the flavour of dish. Garnish with coriander leaves, serve hot.
1. To make starch solution, mix corn flour or potato flour with water in ratio 1:1
2. To prepare Szechuan peppercorn oil – put 2 tablespoons of Szechuan peppercorn, 2pcs of star anise, 1 small stick of cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Pour hot oil (about 6 tablespoons) onto the ingredients to release the flavour into the oil.
You are welcome to follow me for future sharings
Youtube: PS K