English recipe – Please scroll down
Homemade jam is the best, full of flavour and you are sure that there is no additive, no artificial flavouring and no preservative.
You are welcome to cook your very first batch of jam using this recipe. All you need is sugar for preservation purpose and pectin for forming the jelly like texture. If you do not have any pectin on hand, the easiest and most possible pectin you may utilise at home is apple.
It is not a must to use pectin in jam, for example, the strawberry recipe that I share with you below does not call for it. Hence, it is optional to add an apple for pectin, but if you do not love apple, you may omit it in this recipe.
Homemade Strawberry Jam
|2.||Vanilla infused fine sugar 400g|
|3.||Lemon juice 20g|
|4.||Lemon zest 5g|
|5.||Vanilla bean 1 stalk|
|6.||Red apple 1pce (Optional)|
Just a reminder that mason jars that you use for keeping strawberry jam have to be sterilized prior to using. This will ensure the jar is free from bacteria and once you fill the jam to the brim of jar, you basically eliminate air inside it and there will be very little oxygen that aids bacteria growth. As a result, the jam can easily last well for a minimum of 3 month in fridge.
How to sterilize mason jars? Click HERE.
- Clean strawberries by wiping them with a damp cloth to remove dirt, after removed the stem.
- Place all ingredients to pot, lightly pressed the berries should you wish the jam to contain chunky strawberry or you may blend them first prior to cooking for smoother jam.
- Bring to boil.
- Lower the heat to simmer, please stir consistently to avoid burning at the bottom of pot.
- Check consistency by submerging a spatula into jam, then draw a line over the area covered by jam. The consistency is just right if the line stays. You are not advised to eye-ball the consistency because jam tend to thickened when cool down to room temperature.
- Once the jam is ready, fill jam into sterilized jars.
- Store jam in refrigerator once it has completely cooled down.
If you are very concern about cleaning the strawberry thoroughly well, you may put them inside a bowl of water, add a dash of fruit cleaner to the water and let them soak well. Please make sure you pat dry the strawberries with clean kitchen towel as excessive moisture may prolong the cooking of strawberry jam alot.
You are welcome to follow me for future sharings
Youtube: PS K