English recipe – Please scroll down
This recipe is not my creation. I collected quite a number of kaya recipes and it is the one that I enjoy the most. I have adjusted the steps in order to get smoother texture of kaya. However, the recipes were very old and I am unable to find out who is the original creator to give credit to.
The sharing of this recipe has triggered many queries, such as what kind of pandan essence that I use, how do I extract the pandan essence, what is bain-marie, how to prepare caramel and to what extent? Upcoming I will take some photos or clips to show these details that many are interested to know. Hope I can clarify these queries so that more people get the tips of making delicious kaya. Stay tuned on future updates on my FB.
Coconut Milk Curd – Kaya
|2.||Coconut milk 280ml|
|3.||Fresh pandan essence 1 tblsp|
|4.||Fine sugar 250g|
|5.||Fine sugar 30g|
- Crack eggs into a bowl, whisk well.
- Sift the egg mixture into another bowl, pour in coconut milk, fresh pandan essence and fine sugar.
- Stir the mixture until fine sugar is dissolved. Sift one more time before bain-marie.
- Stir the mixture to promote even heat up and to prevent burning on bottom of bowl. In another pan, prepare caramel with fine sugar and water. Stir vigorously until when pouring in the caramel to the kaya.
- Cook the kaya until slightly watery as it will thicken further when cooling down to room temperature.
1. The mason jar used for keeping kaya must be sterilized with boiling hot water beforehand, this will aid to prolong the shelf life of bottled kaya.
You are welcome to follow me for future sharings
Youtube: PS K