English recipe – Please scroll down
I love grilled lamb skewers. Being Greek souvlaki, or the China Xinjiang style.
It is very easy to make lamb skewers at home. In fact, the lamb skewers taste fantastic because we are able to select the best cut of meat and patiently grill to perfection.
Here is my many times tested and proven recipe and tips for making grilled lamb skewers. Perfect for barbecue but it is equally tasty should you make use of an oven.
Grilled Lamb Skewers
|3.||Vegetable oil 2 tblsp|
|4.||Bamboo skewer 10 sticks|
|5.||Salt to taste|
|6.||Chinese chilli flakes to taste|
|7.||Cumin powder to taste|
- Clean the lamb. Cut perpendicular to its grain into smaller pieces, in the size of a mahjong tile each.
- Peel the onion, coarsely slice it.
- Place lamb pieces, onion pieces and vegetable oil into a large bowl, mix well and store in fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, soak bamboo skewers, set aside.
- Prior to grilling, thaw the lamb, mix in salt to taste. Skew five pieces of lamb on each bamboo skewers.
- Best grill on open charcoal fire but equally good to grill in 200°C preheated oven. Recommended time is 10 min on each side.
- Turn the lamb skewers upside down after first 10min, grill another 7 min.
- Sprinkle chilli flakes and cumin powder evenly on lamb skewers.
- Grill another 3min or to your preferred doneness.
- Serve hot.
- Please note the difference between lamb and mutton. Mutton refers to meat from lambs grow beyond 2 years of age. Mutton is darker in colour, and harder in texture and more suitable for cooking stew.
- Step 4 – The skewers – Best to get hold of a type of flat metal skewers that are commonly used in Chinese barbecue restaurants as that conduct heat very well. Otherwise, bamboo skewers is a good alternative too.
- Step 5 – The selection of the right portion of lamb is crucial to the success of this dish. Leg is a good selection. If you choose lean meat for doing the skewers, please ensure there is one piece of lamb fat skewed in between 2pcs of lean meat. For me, I prefer to use marbled meat.
- Step 6 – Open fire gives the lamb skewers the perfect char flavour. Having said this, you should give this a try the next time you organise barbecue.
You are welcome to follow me for future sharings
Youtube: PS K