English recipe – Please scroll down
This is an old school dish that many Chinese recall as one of their favourite childhood dishes.
Salted fish was very popular in my grandparents’ generation. Time was difficult then, in order to save money, salted fish, salted vegetable and many other preserved food were used to create a variety of dishes.
Not only because these preserved food tastes good, but these are salty hence people can eat a lot of steamed rice with a small portion of dish. One dish feeds a whole family was the whole idea, prudently poor man’s food concept that many had experienced.
Salted Fish Pork Patty
|1.||Salted fish 30g|
|2.||Rice bran oil 2 Tblsp|
|3.||Water chestnut 60g|
|4.||Minced pork 500g (Equal proportion of lean and fat)|
|5.||Sesame oil 1 tblsp|
|6.||Brown sugar 1/2 tsp|
|7.||White pepper 1/8 tsp|
|8.||Corn starch 1 茶匙|
|10.||Old ginger strips 1 茶匙|
- Wash and drain dry salted fish, cut into thin slices.
- Heat up pan, add rice bran oil, pan fry salted fish slices until golden brown. Let salted fish to cool down before chopped into small bits, set aside. Reserve the flavoured oil.
- Wash, peel and finely chop water chestnut, set aside.
- In a large bowl, put in minced pork, sesame oil, brown sugar and white pepper, mix well.
- Add flavoured oil from pan frying just now, mix well.
- Gradually add water, stir the ingredients in one direction until you observed fine strains, add old ginger strips, mix well.
- Add salted fish and water chestnut prepared in step 1 and 2, mix well, patty is ready.
- Heat up a non-stick pan, measure equal amount of patty, lightly press to become a disc, line the patty in pan to begin frying.
- If you use cast iron or stainless steel pan, please be reminded to use oil for pan fry purpose. Just as shown in LIVE, I used non-stick pan hence I did not further add oil during pan frying. Fry the patty until cooked, both sides are golden brown.
- Serve hot, perfect to eat with lettuce wrap, enjoy.
Here is a link on the LIVE show that I did to demonstrate the step-by-step of making this dish, please note that this show was done in Mandarin, there is no English subtitle: WATCH
You are welcome to follow me for future sharings
Youtube: PS K